Crunchy Bytes: Development Diary - Volume #1 | Crowdsourcing Some Ideas



(Above image is a screenshot of the Reddit thread in question)

In starting out the mammoth task of examining the impact of technology on video games including does that have succeeded at overcoming the challenges against them hardware-wise and those that have not, one must start by first finding a game or games to study and analyse for their successes and/or failures. So I took to Reddit and posted a thread on the subreddit /r/TrueGaming with the title, Games that pushed the limits of their hardware and games that failed to do so. This thread achieved an overwhelming number of responses, getting around 200 comments in the space of a couple of days. Many of these comments were highly detailed and included links to further information. I was incredibly appreciative and overjoyed with the amount of attention the thread got, and I have a good deal of gratitude to the folks who took time out of their day to post.

In other Crunchy Bytes news (other than initial research that is), I'm still working on the script for the video and have decided on examining just two different titles: Half-Life 2 and Crash Bandicoot, one for the PC and the other for console (specifically the PlayStation One). As can be ascertained from the screenshot, I was particularly inspired by /u/gamingmasterrace's comment about Crash Bandicoot. It also helps that both titles mean a lot to me as part of my 'gaming heritage': the Crash series was an enormous part of my childhood, watching my brother play through each title to completion on the PS1, and the Half-Life series was what truly began my obsession with story-driven atmospheric experiences in my early adult life leading to other great games like BioShock. Thus, I should be able to bring not only a Structuralist take to the topic of hardware-defining games but also an emotional and personal Post-Structuralist approach as well.

I still have a lot of work to do in the coming, increasingly short days ahead like further research and getting properly started on the script and prototype video, but I'm still looking forward to it nonetheless!

By the way, you can read the re-blogged version on the Game Cultures blog here. It's essentially the same post, just slightly reformatted.
 
(This was made for the university subject, BCM215) 

Comments

Post a Comment